Plovdiv and Bachkovo Monastery full day tour A full day guided tour to the European Capital of Culture – Plovdiv and the Bachkovo…
Plovdiv and Bachkovo Monastery full day tour
A full day guided tour to the European Capital of Culture – Plovdiv and the Bachkovo monastery
The second largest city in Bulgaria, Plovdiv is a one of a kind place and for sure a must stop on your trip around Bulgaria. Like Rome, Plovdiv is located around seven hills, but as Europe’s oldest continuously inhabited city, it’s far more ancient. Many civilizations have left their inheritance in Plovdiv: starting from the Thracians, through the Romans and the Byzantines, the Ottomans, and of course the Bulgarians. That makes Plovdiv a fascinating mixture of culture and architecture. The city is best loved for its romantic old town, packed with colorful 19th-century buildings that are now house-museums, galleries and guesthouses and of course with its unique roman structures from the 1st and the 2nd century.
Our tour will take you on a two-hour walk through the charming cobbled stone streets of the old town and the modern, central part of the city. You will learn everything about its intriguing history while exploring the beautifully decorated 19th century houses, the ancient fortress-walls and gates, wonderful churches and Roman structures like the Roman Odeon, the Ancient stadium of Philipopolis and of course the best preserved Roman Theater (2nd century) in Bulgaria, which is still used for live performances. After the walk you will have plenty of free time to have lunch in some of the charming restaurants nearby and to explore more from the city by your one.
Plovdiv has been chosen to be a European Capital of Culture in 2019 and it’s a candidate for a UNESCO World Heritage site, so what can you expect on a Plovdiv day tour? Overwhelming amount of culture and art set around the historical and inspiring streets of Plovdiv.
After Plovdiv our tour contentious with a 30min. drive to the south where the Rodopi Mountains are.
In the heart of the mountains we will visit the Bachkovo Monastery. Found in the 11th century and second biggest in Bulgaria the monastery is a notable religious and tourist site. You will enjoy the unique frescoes of the dining room and the St. Nicholas Church, while your guide explains about the history, architecture and nowadays life in the monastery.
- Visit Plovdiv on a full day tour – European capital of culture for year 2019 and one of the oldest cities in Europe.
- Tour of the famous Old Town of Plovdiv, a candidate for a UNESCO World Heritage site and its most famous highlights – The Roman ruins, fortress-walls and gates, the Roman stadium, Odeon and theater, an enchanting orthodox churches and mosques, the beautifully decorated 19th century houses and museums, and many others
- Visit the best preserved Roman Theater (2nd century) in Bulgaria, which is still used for live performances
- Enjoy a nice traditional lunch and a walk in the modern part of the city
- Visit Bachkovo Monastery – the second biggest in Bulgaria, located in the mythical Rhodopi Mountains, established during the 11th century
- Enjoy the frescoes in the Bachkovo Monastery church and dining room (16th century) expressing the East Orthodox traditions
- Know more about the Eastern Orthodox traditions, frescoes and history
- Know more about Bulgarian culture, nature and traditions
- Explore the beautiful Bulgarian countryside
DATES: All year round, every day!
DURATION: 1 day (About 9 hours)
GROUP SIZE: Small groups from 1 up to 8 persons
PRICE: 56 € per person (the price is for min. 2 persons)
1 person (private tour): 110 €
4-7 pers. – 49 Euro/pers.; 8-12 pers. – 39 Euro/pers.
DISCOUNTS: Great group discounts for groups of 4 or more people! Please enquire at: email@example.com or +359 877 842 652
GOOD TO KNOW:
- The tour is not suitable for disabled people
- Wearing comfortable shoes is recommended
- Don’t forget your camera
08:00 Your guide will pick you up from your hotel or address and within an two hour (140 km) scenic trip through the Sredna Gora Mountains and the Thracian valley you will be in Plovdiv.
10:00 The beginning of a beautiful two-hour walk through the colorful old town with all the major sites that the city has to offer: the beautifully decorated 19th century houses and museums, all the different temples, like orthodox churches and mosques, the Roman structures, like The Roman Theater and The Stadium.
12:00 Free time for lunch or if you like to explore more from the city by your one.
13:30 We leave for the Rodopi Mountains and Bachkovo Monastery.
14:10 A tour of the second biggest monastery in Bulgaria - Bachkovo Monastery with its beautiful church and unique frescoes.
15:00 We leave for Sofia.
17:30 You will be back at your place.
INCLUDED IN THE PRICE:
- Pick up / drop off from your hotel or address in Sofia or Plovdiv
- All transportation and parking costs.
- Licensed English-speaking guide
- VAT and all local taxes
NOT INCLUDED IN THE PRICE:
- Entrance fees (about 10 Euro – optional)
- meals, tips and personal expenses
No gallery images found.
Important to know before booking!
- If you would like to join this tour, booking in advance is required!
- No online payment is needed! Payment will be made on the day of departure directly to your tour guide.
- Please fill up the booking form.
- Your booking will be processed and a written confirmation will be sent to you within short term!
- In the NOTE field, please write down the number of travelers (e.g. 3 persons) and the hotel name or exact address, in case of a pick-up.