FULL DAY GUIDED HIKING TOUR TO VITOSHA MOUNTAIN, BLACK PEAK AND BOYANA WATERFALL Explore Vitosha in the best way, by visiting the two…
FULL DAY GUIDED HIKING TOUR TO VITOSHA MOUNTAIN, BLACK PEAK AND BOYANA WATERFALL
Explore Vitosha in the best way, by visiting the two most beautiful places in the mountain in a fantastic day tour from Sofia. Vitosha mountain is one of the best places to escape from the summer heat in Sofia. When you combine this escape with a moderate walk and with a visit of Boyana waterfall, the biggest and the most beautiful waterfall in the mountain, you will get a perfect day out!
Sofia is probably the only European capital with such a high and beautiful mountain so close to the city center. The mountain is the first thing visitors of Sofia notice on their way from the airport. Vitosha is a ski resort , great hiking place and gives you a great panoramic views to the city. The mountain is the Balkans’ oldest Nature Park and Bulgaria’s most visited mountain. The wet meadows and the century-old woods are home to a number of rare and endemic plant and animal species. You might be lucky to encounter wild goats, deers, foxes, wolfs and many other(s).
Our small-group tour will take you from the charming foothills of the mountain (where we will visit the Boyana Waterfall) through century-old coniferous woods and the high alpine and sub-alpine part of the mountain, all the way to the highest peak called Cherni Vrah peak (Black peak)-2290m., with a fantastic panoramic views of Sofia city and the Balkan Mountains from almost 2300m/6900ft. above sea level.
- Walking in Vitosha Mountain, the oldest Nature Park of the Balkans.
- Enjoy the great panorama from Cherni Vrah 2290 m, the highest peak of Vitosha Mountain.
- Visit the Boyana Waterfall – the biggest and the most beautiful waterfall in the mountain.
- Get some fresh mountain air.
- Get closer to the nature, know more about the local herbs and animals.
MORE ABOUT VITOSHA MOUNTAIN
Vitosha Mountain is the oldest nature park on the Balkan Peninsula. Its gorgeous silhouette is visible from almost all positions in the city and is inseparable part of Sofia’ image.
In 1934 with the active involvement of the Bulgarian nature-conservation society, part of the mountain of 6,600 ha was declared a park. Its boundaries have been changed many times and today encompass the entire mountain of 27,079 ha area. On the park’s territory 61 types of habitats were identified; among them of greatest interest as far as nature conservation goes are the natural spruce forests, the peat areas, the moraines and the caves.
The park is habitation of a plenty of Balkan endemics, and the globular yellow blossoms of the Vitosha tulip (Trollius europaeus) can be seen on the open high-mountain parts. The number of orchid species found on its territory counts to 30. The mountain is home of a diversity of bigger and smaller mammals, birds, insects, reptiles and amphibians. In the different seasons 200 bird species can be observed in Mount Vitosha, of them 120 species nesting within the park’s territory.
Located on the north-eastern slope of Mount Vitosha, Bistrishko Branishte Reserve was established with the aim to preserve in their natural condition high-mountain spruce forests, sub-alpine grass cohabitations, rock formations and stone rivers. In 1977 the reserve was defined as a biosphere reserve according to UNESCO’s international Man and Biosphere Program. The largest in Bulgaria compound of high mountain peat areas with its characteristic hydrophilic vegetation and extraordinary water-holding qualities is preserved in the Torfeno Branishte Reserve.
Sofia has a population of about 1,5 million people and for many of them this mountain is the best place to practice their favorite activities. On the slopes of Vitosha there is possibilities for hiking, mountain biking, climbing, skiing and ski touring, snowshoeing, paragliding, caving. Many people simply go up the mountain to see the great panoramas of the capital and have a picnic in the nature.
There are a lot of mountain chalets and hotels in the northern part, the chalets being the following: Aleko, Selimitsa, Kumata, Kamen Del, Tintyava, Edelweiss.
The most familiar tourist routes start from points at Knyazhevo and Dragalevtsi Quarters leading to Aleko locality below the Cherni Vrah Peak, Zlatnite Mostove and Kopitoto localities.
DATES: All year round.
Best period: May – November
DURATION: 1 day (About 6/7 hours)
Transfers time: 1.30 hrs.
Walking time: 3-4 hrs. (Depending on the pace; moderate difficulty)
DIFFICULTY: Easy to Medium
GROUP SIZE: From 1 up to 8 persons
|09:00||Pick up from your hotel or address.|
|09:30||Arrival at Boyana church. 30/40 minutes to explore the site.|
|10:10||Depart from Boyana church and head to Vitosha Nature Park and Aleko hut.|
|10:50||Here we start our hike. It will take between 1:30 and 2 hours to reach Black Peak, the highest point of the mountain.|
|13:00||Estimated time of arrival at Black Peak.|
|15:20||Back at Aleko hut.|
|16:00||You will be back at your place in Sofia.|
GOOD TO KNOW
- This is a hiking tour suitable for beginners and intermediate hikers ,but requires good physical condition (2-3 hrs. walking)
- Wearing comfortable clothes and proper shoes is necessary.
- Wear jacket and warm clothes (scarf, gloves, extra t-shirt, socks etc.) no matter of the season. We are going to reach 2500 meters a.s.l.
- Bring sun protection cream, sunglasses and a hat, because the sun is stronger in the mountain.
- There are no shops and restaurant on the route, so better take some snacks or sandwiches with you. On the way from Sofia we’ll make a short stop for shopping.
- Don't forget your camera
1 person (private tour): 79 Euro
2 persons: 44 Euro per person
Great group discounts for groups of 4 or more people! Please enquire at: firstname.lastname@example.org or call us: +359877 842 652
INCLUDED IN THE PRICE
- All transportation and parking costs.
- Pick up and drop of at your location
- Licensed English-speaking guide
- VAT and all local taxes
NOT INCLUDED IN THE PRICE
- Admission fee for Boyana church – 5 Euro (optional)
- Meals, tips and personal expenses.
Important to know before booking!
- If you would like to join this tour, booking in advance is required!
- No online payment is needed! Payment will be made on the day of departure directly to your tour guide.
- Please fill up the booking form.
- Your booking will be processed and a written confirmation will be sent to you within short term!
- In the NOTE field, please write down the number of travelers (e.g. 3 persons) and the hotel name or exact address, in case of a pick-up.